To my darling, sous chef, and novice cook, Amelia. Here is a super easy Shrimp Scampi recipe. In order to be successful, however, you must attempt to utilize all these ingredients, or, as you found out, you will be left with a pot of butter and shrimp. While not terrible, it is not Shrimp Scampi. Your Italian heritage is there, buried somewhere under chicken wings, pizza, Ben & Jerry’s and other college type foods. Get in touch with your inner Italian and remember, there is no such thing as too much butter, garlic or cheese.
What you need:
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced or finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup dry white wine (not the nasty sweet stuff you guys drink)
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (a must)
- ¾ teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper- to taste
- 1 ¾ pounds large shrimp- shelled
- Freshly squeezed juice of half a lemon and chopped parsley for garnish
- Cooked linguine (al dente) and/or a warm Italian type crusty bread
What to do:
Ready? 1-2-3-4 EASY…
- In a large skillet, melt butter with olive oil stirring in the garlic and do not stop until your kitchen is filled with that heavenly smell, about 1 minute.
- Add the wine, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Add shrimp and sauté until they just turn pink just about 3 minutes or so. Stir in the parsley and lemon juice.
- Yum, now pour over pasta or use that Italian bread to dip into the sauce.
You can do this, you and Abbie. Try it again and call me if you need me.