This is a super fun and very customizable appetizer or dinner. We are all trying to eat better and be more conscious of the foods we eat. Read this all the way through and give this a try before you judge. It is yummy, and quite guilt free. (I wish I had a picture for you but we devoured them too quickly!)
What you need for the base:
- 1-3 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into thick slices. The number dependent on how many you are serving and whether it is an appetizer or main course.
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Seasoning- depending on the theme of your nachos. Details to follow.
What you need for Italian Nachos Topping:
- Italian sausage, can be turkey sausage
- Chicken to grill, could use shrimp too.
- Shredded mozzarella, fontina or other Italian cheese
- Diced prosciutto
- Mushroom, grilled zucchini (diced) or another veggie
- Tomato sauce
- Shredded basil to top it
What you need for Mexican Nachos Topping:
- Drained black beans
- Crumbled ground meat/turkey
- Avocado sliced or guacamole for topping
- Mexican cheeses; Manchego is great!
- Cilantro to top it
What you need for Designer Nachos: you following me now?
What to do:
You know me by now and know I love grilled sweet potatoes. So, take the thickly sliced sweet potatoes and put them in a large Ziploc bag. Drizzle with the olive oil and spices. Shake it well, mix it good and let it sit a few.
Turn on your grill and grill these babies until they are somewhat ‘grill marked’ and soft. If you are using sausage, chicken or shrimp for the Italian Nachos, grill them now.
For Mexican nachos, cook the ground meat in a stovetop pan and add seasonings per taste, maybe like tacos?
Plate the cooked sweet potato slices on a foil lined or parchment lined cookie sheet or pizza pan.
Now just build it as if you are topping tortilla chips for nachos. The final product should look like a mound of ‘chips’ covered in your favorite toppings. Turn the oven on to 375 degrees and when it is ready, bake them until the cheese starts to melt. You can broil them but you better watch them very carefully. Things go sideways sometimes…
You could also put them back on the grill on foil and close the lid for a bit checking frequently to see if the cheese melts.
These are spectacular and sure to please a crowd. Happy eating.