The Celebration of Chip's life is today. I struggled with the decision…
I cannot do a morning cardio without something to eat. I can do time with my trainer, Marina, but not cardio and especially not spin. I usually grab a banana or yogurt but at 4:45am, I am not quite thinking that clearly. Yes, I do drink coffee on cardio days as well!
Here is a recipe for egg cups that can be made ahead and nuked to warm up. Try them.
Please note: this is NOT a substitution for my beloved clementine. It is in addition to that fruit of sheer perfection.
What you need:
- 2 cups of your favorite veggies. I use shitake mushrooms.
- a few good handfuls of spinach, chopped but not too chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 2/3 cup chopped artichoke hearts drained
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- 8 egg whites or pourable egg whites
- goat cheese, shredded mozzarella cheese or any cheese.
- (cheese is grate. Get it?)
What to do:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil or spray 6-8 cups of a 12-section muffin pan or 4 large ramekins.
In a small pan or pot sauté the mushrooms, spinach and olives along with any other veggies. Just enough to warm them through. Add to the muffin cups.
Pour in or add the egg whites and add your cheese of choice!
Bake in oven for 25 minutes- watch them, my oven is quick, it may take less time.
YUM. Eat warm or let cool to room temperature, cover and store in fridge.
Grab one along with your spin shoes, water bottle and towel and off you go!